This Fast & Easy Raspberry Homemade Ice Cream is the perfect, refreshing summer dessert. It’s smooth, creamy and packed with delicious freeze-dried raspberries.
This recipe really is the epitome of summer desserts. It’s cold, fresh, creamy…does it get any better? YES—actually it does! This recipe uses minimal ingredients and equipment. All you need is:
- A bread loaf pan (for freezing), or an ice cream storage container
- A stand mixer or hand mixer and big mixing bowl
- Freeze-dried raspberries (could sub with fresh too)
- Frozen or fresh raspberries
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
The secret to making this recipe what it is, is using freeze-dried raspberries. Not only do they provide more flavor in every bite and are more convenient, but there is a major cost difference between using fresh raspberries and freeze-dried. Initially, the cost is greater for one container of freeze-dried raspberries, but it’s an investment that will pay off in just a few recipes.
So, what exactly are freeze-dried raspberries? They are simply fresh raspberries that have had the moisture removed. Only about 3 percent moisture remains in the freeze dried raspberries product at the time of packaging which means the weight has reduced by over 90 percent, while the volume stays the same. This remarkable process of freeze drying concentrates the fresh taste, natural color, and texture of raspberries. It also provides a long shelf life of up to 10 to 15 years—perfect for long term food storage and emergency preparedness.
Did I mention the taste is just as great as fresh raspberries? Possibly better because the flavor is concentrated. It’s also important to mention that the nutritional value is preserved. That means you will get all the benefits of fiber and protein in freeze dried raspberries as you would fresh. A win-win in my book!
When making this ice cream, I simply chopped up 1 cup of freeze dried raspberries and gently stirred them into the ice cream mixture. I didn’t rehydrate them, but in most other recipes I would. To do this you will add 1 part fruit to 3 parts water. The raspberries will absorb the liquid and resemble fresh raspberries once again. Super quick and easy.
You guys, this is what ice cream dreams are made of. Once you get into it, there’s no looking back. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Fast & Easy Homemade Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream: No Churn Needed!
Yield: 1 bread pan loaf of ice cream
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup freeze-dried raspberries or fresh raspberries
- Place 1 cup of the frozen raspberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the rest of the frozen raspberries, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the raspberry mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Let cool completely.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a stand mixer or bowl. Mix for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a silicone spatula to fold in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Once it is completely mixed together, chop up the freeze-dried raspberries and gently stir into the ice cream mixture.
- Pour the base into a bread loaf pan.
- Pour in raspberry swirl and freeze overnight. Enjoy!